Goizueta Chair and Professor of Organization & Management
Director and Associate Dean
Goizueta Business School
1300 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322 USA
Anand Swaminathan joined Goizueta Business School in the fall of 2007. Prior to joining Goizueta he taught organizational theory and strategy at the University of California at Davis and before that he taught corporate strategy at the University of Michigan Business School.
His research touches a wide range of organizational issues, including industry evolution, strategies for niche/specialist firms, and applications of social network theory. His current research explores the structure and history of the American brewing and wine industries, the structure of open source software development communities, as well as career mobility among winery managers and NFL coaching staff.
- "Evaluative schemas and the mediating role of critics." (with Greta Hsu and Peter W. Roberts). Organization Science, 23: 83-97, 2012.
- Rider, Christopher I. and Anand Swaminathan. "They just fade away: Mortality in the U.S. venture capital industry." Industrial and Corporate Change, 21(1): 151-185. 2012.
- “Modularity and the impact of buyer-supplier relationships on the survival of suppliers,” Management Science, 53: 178-91, 2007, with G. Hoetker and W. Mitchell.
- “Modeling international expansion,” Research Methodology in Strategy and Management, 4: 101-117, 2007, with X. Martin and L. Tihanyi.
- “Theoretical research programs in international business.” Progress in International Business Research, 1: 27-33, 2007.
- “Early timing, exploration and firm survival in the early U.S. bicycle industry,” Strategic Management Journal, 27: 1159-82, 2006, with G. Dowell.
- “Framing interorganizational network change: a network inertia perspective,” Academy of Management Review, 31: 704-20, 2006, with T-Y Kim and H. Oh.
- “Turnover events, vicarious information and the reduced likelihood of outlet-level exit among small multi-unit organizations,” Organizational Science, 17: 118-31, 2006, with A. Kalnins and W. Mitchell.
- “Mining email social networks,” MSR 2006: Proceedings of the 2006 international workshop on Mining software repositories, 2006: 137-143. New York, NY: ACM Press with C. Bird, A. Gourley, P. Devanbu and M. Gertz.
- “Organizational Processes of Resource Partitioning,” Research in Organizational Behavior, 24: 1-40, 2002, with G.R. Carroll and S. Dobrev.
Areas of Specialization
- Organizational theory and strategy
- Industry evolution
- Small-firm strategies
- Organizational change and its consequences
- Strategic choice as a diffusion process
- Interorganizational and social networks
- Market entry
- Innovation and competition
Achievements and Honors
- Best paper, Davis Conference on Qualitative Research, 2002
- Best paper, Business Policy and Strategy Division, Academy of Management, 1998
- Best paper, International Management Division, Academy of Management, 1996
Memberships and Activities
- Academy of International Business
- Academy of Management
- American Sociological Association
- European Group of Organization Studies
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
- Strategic Management Society
- Editorial board for Academy of Management Review
- Editorial board for California Management Review
- Editorial board for Journal of International Business Studies
- Editorial board for Organization Science
|1993||PhD||Business Administration||University of California at Berkeley|
|1984||PGDM||Marketing and Organizational Behavior||Indian Institute of Management||Calcutta, India|
|1982||BTech||Mechanical Engineering||National Institute of Technology||Warangal, India|