Associate Professor of Organization & Management
Caldwell Research Fellow
Doctoral Area Coordinator Organization and Management
Goizueta Business School
1300 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322 USA
Giacomo Negro joined the Goizueta Business School faculty in 2008. He previously taught at the Durham Business School (UK) and Bocconi University (Italy), and was a visiting scholar at various institutions including Stanford University and UCLA. Negro holds a PhD in management from Bocconi University, where he also received a Laurea degree in economics and business.
- "Balancing the Skill Sets of Founders: Implications for the Quality of Organizational Outputs." With P.W. Roberts and A. Swaminathan. Strategic Organization 11 35-55. 2013.
- "Resource Partitioning Revisited: Competitive Interaction and Vital Rates in the Italian TV Industry." With S. Reis, O. Sorenson, F. Perretti and A. Lomi. Industrial and Corporate Change 21, forthcoming. 2012.
- "‘Actual’ and Perceptual Effects of Category Spanning." With M. D. Leung. Organization Science 23, forthcoming. 2012.
- "Hybrids in Hollywood: A Study of the Production and Performance of Genre Spanning Films." With G. Hsu and F. Perretti. Industrial and Corporate Change 21:1427-1450. 2012.
- "Category Reinterpretation and Defection: Modernism and Tradition in Italian Wine Making." With M. T. Hannan and H. Rao. Organization Science 22: 1449–1463. 2011.
- “Categorical Contrast and Niche Width: Critical Success in Winemaking.” With M. T. Hannan and H. Rao. Industrial and Corporate Change 19: 1397–1425. 2010.
- “Stained Red?: A Study of Stigma by Association to Blacklisted Artists during the ‘Red Scare’ in Hollywood, 1945-1960.” With E. Pontikes and H. Rao. American Sociological Review 75: 456–478. 2010.
- “Research on Categories in the Sociology of Organizations.” With G. Hsu and Ö. Koçak. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 31: 3–35. 2010.
- “The Structure of Consensus: Network Ties Legitimation and Exit Rates of U.S. fFature Film Producer Organizations,” With G. Cattani, S. Ferriani and F. Perretti. Administrative Science Quarterly 53: 145–182. 2008.
- “E Pluribus Unum: Framing, Matching, and Organizational Form Emergence in U.S. Television Broadcasting, 1940-1960,”. With F. Perretti and A. Lomi. Organization Science 19: 533–547. 2008.
- “Evolutionary Perspectives on Inter-Organizational Relations.” With A. Lomi and F. Fonti. Pp. 313–339 in Cropper, S., Ebers, M., Huxham, C., and Smith Ring, P. (Eds.) Oxford Handbook of Inter-Organizational Relations , Oxford University Press. 2008.
- “Mixing Genres, Matching People: A Study in Innovation and Team Composition in Hollywood.” With F. Perretti. Journal of Organizational Behavior 28: 563– 586. 2007.
- “Metabolic Implications for the Mechanism of Mitochondrial Endosymbiosis and Human Hereditary Disorders.” With B. Lovegren de Bivort, C-C. Chen, F. Perretti, T. M. Philip and Y. Bar-Yam. Journal of Theoretical Biology 248: 26–36. 2007.
- “Filling Empty Seats: How Social Status and Organizational Hierarchies Affect Exploration vs. Exploitation in Team Design.” With F. Perretti. Academy of Management Journal 49: 759–777. 2006.
- “The Competitive Dynamics of Vertical Integration. Evidence from U.S. Motion Picture Producers, 1912–1970.” With O. Sorenson. Advances in Strategic Management 23: 367– 403. 2006.
- “Same, Yet Different: Similarity, Distinctiveness and the Evolution of Film Genres”. With G. Hsu and F. Perretti. Academy of Management Meetings Best Paper Proceedings. 2007.
- “Integrating Ecologies: Population Dynamics and Interorganizational Networks in the U.S. Motion Picture Industry, 1912–1970.” With G. Cattani, S. Ferriani and F. Perretti. Academy of Management Meetings Best Paper Proceedings. 2006.
- “System Dependent Organizational Evolution: Evidence from the U.S. Television Industry, 1940–2000.” With A. Lomi and F. Perretti. Academy of Management Meetings Best Paper Proceedings. 2006.
Areas of Specialization
- Organizational theory
- Cultural and creative industries
Achievements and Honors
- Goizueta Business School, Caldwell Research Award, 2010
- Università Commerciale L. Bocconi, Research Excellence Award, 2007
- Università Commerciale L. Bocconi, Best Management Paper Award, 2007
- Academy of International Business Conference, Best Reviewer Award, 2005
- Fondazione IRI Research Grant, 2004
- Università Commerciale L. Bocconi, Best Management Paper Award, 2004
- Università Commerciale L. Bocconi, Best Graduates Annual Award, 1999
Memberships and Activities
- Academy of Management
- American Sociological Association
- European Group for Organization Studies
- European Academy of Management
|1998||Laurea (summa cum laude)||Economics and Business||Bocconi University||Italy|