- Associate Professor of Organization & Management
- Goizueta Term Chair
- Associated Associate Professor of Sociology
- Doctoral Area Coordinator, Organization & Management
- Phone: (404) 727-1412
- Fax: (404) 727-6313
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
BiographyGiacomo Negro joined the Goizueta Business School faculty in 2008. He previously taught at the Durham Business School (UK) and Bocconi University (Italy), and was a visiting scholar at various institutions including Stanford University and UCLA. Negro holds a PhD in management from Bocconi University, where he also received a Laurea degree in economics and business.
- "Organizational Form Emergence: A Meta-Analysis of the Ecological Theory of Legitimation." 2014. with S. Bogaert, C. Boone and A. van Witteloostuijn. Journal of Management 40. Forthcoming.
- "Challenger Groups, Commercial Organizations, and Policy Enactment: Local Lesbian/Gay Rights Ordinances in the U.S. from 1972-2008." 2013. With F. Perretti and G.R. Carroll. American Journal of Sociology 119.
- "Balancing the Skill Sets of Founders: Implications for the Quality of Organizational Outputs." 2013. With P.W. Roberts and A. Swaminathan. Strategic Organization 11 35-55. 2013.
- "Resource Partitioning Revisited: Evidence from Italian Television Broadcasting." 2013. With S. Reis, O. Sorenson, F. Perretti and A. Lomi. Industrial and Corporate Change 22: 459-487.
- "'Actual' and Perceptual Effects of Category Spanning." 2013. With M. D. Leung.Organization Science 24:684-696.
- "Hybrids in Hollywood: A Study of the Production and Performance of Genre Spanning Films." 2012. With G. Hsu and F. Perretti. Industrial and Corporate Change 21:1427-1450.
- "Category Reinterpretation and Defection: Modernism and Tradition in Italian Wine Making." 2011. With M. T. Hannan and H. Rao. Organization Science 22: 1449-1463.
- "Categorical Contrast and Niche Width: Critical Success in Winemaking." 2010. With M. T. Hannan and H. Rao. Industrial and Corporate Change 19: 1397-1425.
- "Stained Red?: A Study of Stigma by Association to Blacklisted Artists during the 'Red Scare' in Hollywood, 1945-1960." 2010. With E. Pontikes and H. Rao. American Sociological Review 75: 456-478.
- "Research on Categories in the Sociology of Organizations." 2010. With G. Hsu and Ö. Koçak. Research in the Sociology of Organizations 31: 3-35.
- "The Structure of Consensus: Network Ties Legitimation and Exit Rates of U.S. Feature Film Producer Organizations." 2008. With G. Cattani, S. Ferriani and F. Perretti.Administrative Science Quarterly 53: 145-182.
- "E Pluribus Unum: Framing, Matching, and Organizational Form Emergence in U.S. Television Broadcasting, 1940-1960." 2008. With F. Perretti and A. Lomi. Organization Science 19: 533-547.
- "Evolutionary Perspectives on Inter-Organizational Relations." 2008. With A. Lomi and F. Fonti. Pp. 313-339 in Cropper, S., Ebers, M., Huxham, C., and Smith Ring, P. (Eds.)Oxford Handbook of Inter-Organizational Relations, Oxford University Press.
- "Mixing Genres, Matching People: A Study in Innovation and Team Composition in Hollywood." 2007. With F. Perretti. Journal of Organizational Behavior 28: 563-586.
- "Metabolic Implications for the Mechanism of Mitochondrial Endosymbiosis and Human Hereditary Disorders." 2007. With B. Lovegren de Bivort, C-C. Chen, F. Perretti, T. M. Philip and Y. Bar-Yam. Journal of Theoretical Biology 248: 26-36.
- "Filling Empty Seats: How Social Status and Organizational Hierarchies Affect Exploration vs. Exploitation in Team Design." 2006. With F. Perretti. Academy of Management Journal 49: 759-777.
- "The Competitive Dynamics of Vertical Integration. Evidence from U.S. Motion Picture Producers, 1912-1970." 2006. With O. Sorenson. Advances in Strategic Management 23: 367-403.
- "Same, Yet Different: Similarity, Distinctiveness and the Evolution of Film Genres". 2007. With G. Hsu and F. Perretti. Academy of Management Meetings Best Paper Proceedings.
- "Integrating Ecologies: Population Dynamics and Interorganizational Networks in the U.S. Motion Picture Industry, 1912-1970." 2006. With G. Cattani, S. Ferriani and F. Perretti. Academy of Management Meetings Best Paper Proceedings.
- "System Dependent Organizational Evolution: Evidence from the U.S. Television Industry, 1940-2000." 2006. With A. Lomi and F. Perretti. Academy of Management Meetings Best Paper Proceedings.
Areas of Specialization
- Organizational theory
- Cultural and creative industries
Achievements and Honors
- Goizueta Business School, Goizueta Term Chair, 2013
- Carol and Bruce Mallen Award for Lifetime Published Scholarly Contributions to Motion Picture Industry Economic Studies, 2013
- Goizueta Business School, Caldwell Research Award, 2010
- Università Commerciale L. Bocconi, Research Excellence Award, 2007
- Università Commerciale L. Bocconi, Best Management Paper Award, 2007
- Academy of International Business Conference, Best Reviewer Award, 2005
- Fondazione IRI Research Grant, 2004
- Università Commerciale L. Bocconi, Best Management Paper Award, 2004
- Università Commerciale L. Bocconi, Best Graduates Annual Award, 1999
Memberships and Activities
- Academy of Management
- American Sociological Association
- European Group for Organization Studies
- European Academy of Management
- Ph.D. in Management, Bocconi University, Milan, Italy 2004
- Laurea (summa cum laude) in Economics and Business, Bocconi University, Milan, Italy 1998