- Charles H. Kellstadt Professor of Marketing
- Phone: 404-727-7603
- Fax: 404-727-6313
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
Prior to coming to Emory University, Dr. Jagdish Sheth was the Robert E. Brooker Professor of Marketing at the University of Southern California and the Walter H. Stellner Distinguished Professor of Marketing at the University of Illinois. He was also on the faculty of Columbia University and MIT.
Also known as "Jag," Dr. Sheth has published more than 350 research papers and books in various areas of marketing, including consumer behavior, multivariate methods, competitive strategy, relationship marketing and more recently, marketing for emerging markets. His book, The Theory of Buyer Behavior (1969) with John A. Howard is a marketing classic. Dr. Sheth has published several scholarly books: Marketing Theory: Evolution and Evaluation (1988) and Consumption Values and Market Choices (1991). His bestselling reads include publications that have altered how practitioners market, lead and do business: Clients for Life with Andrew Sobel (2000), The Rule of Three, coauthored with Dr. Rajendra Sisodia (2002), Firms of Endearment, coauthored with Dr. Rajendra Sisodia and David Wolfe (2007), The Self-Destructive Habits of Good Companies...And How to Break Them (2007), Chindia Rising: How China and India Will Benefit Your Business (2008, updated 2011), Tectonic Shift (2006) and The 4 A's of Marketing with Rajendra Sisodia (2012).
Dr. Sheth is an American Psychological Association Fellow and past President of the Association for Consumer Research (ACR). He is also a Fellow of the American Marketing Association and the Academy of Marketing Science. Among his past and present accolades, Dr. Sheth was the recipient of the Viktor Mataja Medal from the Austrian Research Society in Vienna (1977) and the 1989 Outstanding Marketing Educator Award from the Academy of Marketing Science. In 1991 and again in 1999, Dr. Sheth was also recognized as the "Marketing Educator of the Year" by Sales and Marketing Executives International (SMEI).
Dr. Sheth is the recipient of all top four academic awards bestowed by the American Marketing Association (AMA). These include the PD Converse Award for Marketing Theory (1998), Charles Coolidge Parlin Award for Marketing Research (2004), the Richard D. Irwin/McGraw Hill Marketing Educator Award (2004) and the William Wilke Award (2014). In 1996, he was elected to be the Distinguished Fellow of the Academy of Marketing Science. Subsequent honors include the Outstanding Leadership Award by the AMA Foundation in 2002 and the Global Innovation Award and Marion Creekmore Award, both from Emory University. Over the last 3 decades, Dr. Sheth has received more than 30 awards as a thought leader in marketing, consumer behavior and emerging markets.
- The Accidental Scholar (with John Yow), Sage Publications, India, 2014.
- The Business School in the Twenty-First Century, (with Howard Thomas and Peter Lorange), Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- 4 A's of Marketing: Creating Value for Customers, Companies and Society (with Rajendra Sisodia), Routledge, 2012, pp. 209.
- Chindia Rising: How China and India Will Benefit Your Business, Tata McGraw Hill, India, 2008 and 2011 (updated Edition).
- Legends in Marketing (Seven Volumes), Sage, 2011.
- Deregulation and Competition: Lessons from the Airline Industry, (with Fred C. Allvine, Can Uslay and Ashutosh Dixit), Sage Publications, 2007, pp. 344.
- The Self-Destructive Habits of Good Companies and How to Break Them, The Wharton Publishing Group, 2007, pp. 270.
- Firms of Endearment: The Pursuit of Purpose and Profit, (with Rajendra Sisodia and David Wolfe), The Wharton Publishing Group, Fall 2006, pp. 284.
- Does Marketing Need Reform? (with Rajendra Sisodia), M.E. Sharpe, 2006, pp. 352.
- Tectonic Shift: The Geoeconomic Realignment of Globalizing Markets (with Rajendra Sisodia), Sage India, 2006, pp. 350.
- Customer Relationship Management: A Strategic Perspective (with G. Shainesh), McMillian India Ltd. 2006, pp. 198.
- Customer Behavior: A Managerial Perspective (with Banwari Mittal), Thomson/Southwestern Publishing, 2004, 2nd edition, pp. 487.
- Customer Behavior: Consumer Behavior and Beyond (with Robert Widing and others) Thomson, (Pacific Rim Edition), 2003, pp. 560.
- The Rule of Three: Surviving and Thriving in Competitive Markets (with Rajendra Sisodia) Free Press, 2002, pp. 277. Translated into several languages including German, French, Japanese, and Chinese.
- Consumption Values and Market Choices: Theory and Applications (with Barbara Gross and Bruce Newman), South-Western Publishing, 1991, pages 487-489.
- Marketing Theory: Evolution and Evaluation (with David Gardner and Dennis Garrett), John Wiley & Sons, 1988.
- The Theory of Buyer Behavior (with John A. Howard), John Wiley & Sons, 1969.
Areas of Specialization
- Consumer Psychology
- Global Competitive Strategy
- Marketing Theory
- Relationship Marketing
Achievements and Honors
- Fellow, American Marketing Association (AMA), 2015
- William L. Wilkie "Marketing for a Better World" Award (AMA), 2014
- Marion Creekmore Award, Emory University, 2012
- Global Management Guru Award, BIMTECH, India, 2011
- Distinguished Research Scholar, Singapore Management University, 2008 to present
- Governor¿s International Award for Individual Contribution to State of Georgia, 2008
- Global Innovation Award, Goizueta Business School, Emory University, 2008
- Distinguished Faculty Lecture, Emory University, 2007
- Honorary Doctorate of Letters, Thiel College, 2007
- Irwin/McGraw Hill Distinguished Marketing Educator, American Marketing Association, 2004
- Charles Coolidge Parlin Award, American Marketing Association, 2004
Memberships and Activities
- American Marketing Association
- Association for Consumer Research
- Academy of International Business
- Academy of Marketing Science
- Georgia Indo-American Chamber of Commerce (GIACC)
- The Indus Entrepreneurs (TiE), Charter Member
- Board Member: WIPRO Limited (India)
- Board Member: Community Foundation of Greater Atlanta
- Board Member: World Affairs Council (Atlanta)
- Board Member: Sheth Foundation
- Founder: India, China, America (ICA) Institute
Selected Consulting Clients
- Allstate Insurance
- California Microwave, Inc.
- Cox Communications
- Ernst and Young
- Ingram Micro
- Square D
- Ph.D., University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 1966
- Master's Business Administration, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 1962
- Bachelor's Communication (BCom), Honors, University of Madras , Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India 1960