- Professor of Marketing
- Goizueta Term Chair
- Phone: 404-727-6386
- Fax: 404-727-3552
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
Sandy Jap's research focuses on the development and management of interorganizational relationships such as how to create and manage strategic alliances over time, how to balance their risks and rewards, and how to share the payoffs of close collaborations. These efforts have been conducted in a number of industries, including the aerospace, automotive, chemical, petroleum, and consumer product industries. The results of this work have been published in a variety of books and journals, including: the Journal of Marketing Research, the Journal of Marketing, Marketing Science, Management Science, Organization Science, Sloan Management Review, and a wide array of special issues. She is an Editorial Board Member of the Journal of Marketing Research, and Marketing Letters, and is an Area Editor for the International Journal of Research in Marketing. More recently, she was named a Dean’s Term Chair Professor in 2009 and given the Lou Stern Award 2007 for the article in marketing channels and distribution with the greatest impact on the field three to eight years after publication. In 2003, she was named one of the top twenty "potential leaders of the next generation of marketing academics" by the Marketing Science Institute and in 2004 she was given the title of Caldwell Research Fellow, an internal award for research excellence.
Her current work involving online, reverse auctions has received significant attention from the academic community and the marketplace, including The Wall Street Journal, CFO Magazine, and Harvard Business Review. It also earned her a Frank Batten Young Scholar Award, given to top junior faculty for exemplary research in E-Business and Supply Chain Management. She joined the Goizueta Business School in 2001; prior to that, Professor Jap was on the faculty at the Sloan School of Management at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Her teaching includes courses in channel management, internet marketing, CRM analytic fieldwork, and marketing management in MBA, BBA, and Executive Education programs.
- Jap, Sandy D., Diana C. Robertson, Aric Rindfleisch, and Ryan P. Hamilton (2012), "Low Stakes Opportunism," forthcoming at the Journal of Marketing Research. http://ssrn.com/abstract=2164440
- Haruvy, Ernan and Sandy D. Jap (2012), "Differentiated Bidders and Bidding Behavior in Procurement Auctions," forthcoming at the Journal of Marketing Research. http://ssrn.com/abstract=2156475
- Lin, Chen, Sriram Venkataraman, and Sandy D. Jap (2012), "Media Multiplexing Behavior: Implications for Targeting and Media Planning," forthcoming at Marketing Science. http://ssrn.com/abstract=2153970
- Sa Vinhas, Alberto, Jan B. Heide and Sandy D. Jap (2012), "Consistency Judgments, Embeddedness, and Relationship Outcomes in Interorganizational Networks,"Management Science, 58(5):996-1011.
- Jap, Sandy D., Diana C. Robertson and Ryan Hamilton (2011), "The Dark Side of Rapport: Agent Misbehavior Face-to-Face and Online," with Diana Robertson and Ryan Hamilton, Special Issue on Marketing Within the Enterprise and Beyond, Pradeep Chintagunta and Preyas Desai eds., Management Science, forthcoming.
- Electronic Companion - The Dark Side of Rapport: Agent Misbehavior Face-to-Face and Online.
- Wang, Qiong, Ujwal Kayande, and Sandy D. Jap (2010), "The Seeds of Dissolution: Discrepancy and Incoherence in Buyer-Supplier Exchange," Marketing Science, 29(6), 1109-24.
- Van Bruggen, Gerrit H., Kersi Antia, Sandy D. Jap, Werner Reinartz, and Florian Pallas (2010), "Managing Marketing Channel Multiplicity," Journal of Service Research, Special Issue of the Third Thought Leadership Conference, 13(3), 331-40.
- Overby, Eric and Sandy Jap (2009), "Electronic and Physical Market Channels: A Multi-Year Investigation in a Market for Products of Uncertain Quality,"Management Science, 55(6), 940-57.
- Shankar Ganesan, Morris George, Sandy Jap, Robert Palmatier, and Barton Weitz (2009), "Supply Chain Management and Retailer Performance: Emergent Trends, Issues and Implications for Research and Practice," Special Issue on Retailing Thought Leadership, Journal of Retailing, 85(1) 84-94.
Areas of Specialization
- B2B relationship management
- Channels of distribution
- Supply chain management
- Online reverse auctions
Achievements and Honors
- Lou Stern Award, 2007
- Caldwell Research Fellow Award, 2004-2006
- Journal of Marketing Research O'Dell Award Finalist, 2004
- Young Scholar Award, sponsored by the Marketing Science Institute, 2003
- AMA Faculty Consortium Speaker, 2001, 2003, 2004
- AMA Doctoral Consortium Faculty, 2000, 2001, 2002
- SMS Doctoral Consortium Faculty, 2003
- Best Article Award for 2001, published in the Special Issue on Strategic Issues in Salesforce Management, the Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management
- Frank Batten Young Scholar Award, given to the top junior faculty for exemplary research in E-Business and Supply Chain Management, 2000
- Dissertation Award, sponsored by the Academy of Marketing Science and Mary Kay Cosmetics, 1996
- Alden G. Clayton Doctoral Dissertation Proposal Competition Award, sponsored by the Marketing Science Institute, 1993
- Doctoral Dissertation Competition Finalist, sponsored by the Institute for the Study of Business Markets, The Pennsylvania State University, 1993
Memberships and Activities
- Editorial Board, Journal of Marketing Research
- Editorial Board, Marketing Letters
- Area Editor, International Journal of Research in Marketing
- American Marketing Association
- Institute for Operations Research and the Management Science (INFORMS)
Selected Consulting Clients
- BP Amoco
- KPMG Peat Marwick
- Ph.D. Marketing in Marketing, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL/United States 1995
- Bachelor's BS in Marketing, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL/United States 1995