- Associate Professor of Organization & Management
- Phone: (404) 727-4820
- Fax: (404) 727-6313
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
BiographyJill Perry-Smith joined the Goizueta Business School faculty after completing her Ph.D. in organizational behavior in the College of Management at Georgia Institute of Technology. Her areas of specialization include the effects of informal social networks on creativity and the impact of work-life initiatives on firm and individual performance. Prior to her academic career, Jill worked on a variety of project management teams, overseeing large refinery expansion projects, across the United States. She currently teaches a groups and teams elective, a creativity and innovation elective, as well as an organizational behavior seminar in the Ph.D. program.
- Navigating a Darwinian process of entrepreneurial creativity: How optimal group mood differs for generating and selecting creative business ideas. With R. Coff, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 5: 247-268, 2011.
- The perception of difficulty in project-work planning and its impact on resource sharing. With E. Bendoly & D.G. Bachrach, Journal of Operations Management, 28: 385, 2010.
- The emergence of team creative cognition: The role of diverse outside ties, socio-cognitive network centrality, and team evolution. With C.E. Shalley, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, 2:23-41, 2008.
- Social yet creative: The role of social relationships in facilitating individual creativity, Academy of Management Journal, 49:85-101, 2006.
- The social side of creativity: A static and dynamic social network perspective. With C.E. Shalley, Academy of Management Review, 28:89-106, 2003.
- Effects of social-psychological factors on creative performance: The role of informational and controlling expected evaluation and modeling experience. With C.E. Shalley, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 84:1-22, 2001
- Work-family human resource bundles and perceived organizational performance. With T.C. Blum, Academy of Management Journal, 43:1107-1117, 2000
Areas of Specialization
- Informal social netwoks
- Work-life initiatives
Achievements and Honors
- Academy of Management Review, Best Paper Finalist, 2004
- American Dissertation Fellow, American Association of University Women
- Promising Young Scholar Research Excellence Award, PhD Project, Management Doctoral Student Association
- President's Fellow, Georgia Institute of Technology
Memberships and Activities
- Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Review
- Editorial Board Member, Academy of Management Journal
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Management
- Editorial Board Member, Organization Science
- American Psychological Society
- Ph.D. Ph.D. in Organizational Behavior, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA/United States 2002
- Master's MBA, Pepperdine University, Malibu, CA/United States 1991
- Bachelor's BS in Civil Engineering, Syracuse University, Syracuse NY/United States 1989