Asa Griggs Candler Chaired Professor of Organization & Management
Goizueta Business School
1300 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322 USA
James Wade joined Goizueta Business School in the summer of 2011. Prior to joining Goizueta, he taught organizational behavior, organizational theory and strategy at the University of Illinois, the University of Wisconsin, Rutgers University and Georgetown University. His research has explored a wide range of issues ranging from corporate governance to industry evolution. Some of his current research explores product demography and its consequences in the storage industry, status dynamics among corporate CEOs, the determinants and outcomes of political scandals, the evolution of sports leagues, stigmatization and identity processes among products in the pharmaceutical industry, categorization processes in the Brazilian film industry, and career mobility among NFL coaching staff.
- McKendrick, David G, James B. Wade. 2010. “Frequent Incremental Change and Mortality in High-Technology Competition.” Industrial and Corporate Change, 19(3): 613-639
- McKendrick, David G, James B. Wade, and Jonathan Jaffee. “Good Riddance? Spin-offs and the Technological Performance of Parent Firms,” Organization Science. 20: 979-992
- Graffin, Scott D., James B. Wade, Joseph F. Porac and Robert McNamee. 2008. “Status Leakage” in the Executive Suite: The Impact of CEO Status Attainment on the Economic Outcomes of Other Senior Managers,” Organization Science 19: 457-474.
- Wade, James B., Joseph F. Porac, Timothy G. Pollock, and Scott D. Graffin. 2008. “Star CEOs: Benefit or Burden,” Organizational Dynamics 37: 203-210.
- Wade, James B. Charles A. O’Reilly, III and Timothy G. Pollock 2006. “Overpaid CEOs and Underpaid Managers: Equity and Executive Compensation.” Organization Science 17: 527-544.
- Wade, James, Joseph Porac, Timothy Pollock & Scott Graffin. 2006. “The Burden of Celebrity: The Impact of Certification Contests Among the Corporate Elite on Pay and Performance,” Academy of Management Journal. 49: 643-660.
- Porac, Joseph, James B. Wade, Harald Fischer, Joyce Brown, Alaina Kanfer, and Geof Bowker. 2004. “Human Capital Heterogeneity, Collaborative Relationships and Publication Patterns in a Multidisciplinary Scientific Alliance: A Comparative Case Study of Two Scientific Teams,” Research Policy. 33:661-678
- Pollock, Timothy, Joseph Porac and James B. Wade. 2004. “Weaving the Social Fabric of Mediated Markets: The Role of Bank Reputation and Transactional Embeddedness in Initial Public Offerings.” Academy of Management Review. 29:50-72
- McKendrick, David G., Anand Swaminathan, and James B. Wade. “National Mimicry and Competitive Selection: Explaining Product Strategies in the Worldwide Floppy Disk Drive Industry”
- Beck, Nikolaus, Anand Swaminathan, James B. Wade, and Filippo C. Wezel. “The Impact of Organizational Prototypes and Industry Clusters on the Fates of Northern Bavarian (Franconian) Breweries”
- Swaminathan, Anand, James B. Wade and Andreas Schwabb. “Employment Affiliation Networks and Career Mobility among NFL Coaching Staff, 1985-2008.”
- Dobbs, Michael E., James B. Wade, J. Richard Harrison and Xia Zhao “The Only game in Town? Related Agglomeration and the Mortality of Professional Sports Leagues, 1871-1997.”
- Reis, Samira, David Tan and James B. Wade “Consequences of Inter-category Relationships and Experience in the Brazilian Film Industry, 1998-2008”
Areas of Specialization
- Organizational Theory and Strategy
- Industry evolution
- Technological Innovation
- Inter-organizational social networks
- Corporate Governance
- Executive Compensation
- Antecedents and consequences of status
Memberships and Activities
- Academy of Management
- American Sociological Association
- European Group of Organization Studies
- Strategic Management Society
- Editorial Board for Administrative Science Quarterly
- Editorial Board for Strategic Management Journal
- Editorial Board for Journal of International Business Studies
|1993||PhD||Business Administration||University of California at Berkeley|
|1989||MBA||University of Texas|
|1982||BS||Mechanical Engineering||Rice University|