- Assistant Professor of Organization & Management
- Associated Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology
- Senior Faculty Fellow, Emory Center for Ethics
- Teaching Faculty, Master's in Development Practice
- Phone: (404) 727-2045
- Fax: (404) 727-6313
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
BiographyWesley Longhofer joined the Goizueta Business School in 2012 after receiving his PhD in sociology from the University of Minnesota. His research and teaching interests include organizational sociology, institutional theory, nonprofits and philanthropy, corporate social responsibility, international law, and the environment. He has published broadly on voluntary associations, environmental non-profits, and environmental policy reform. His current research includes a global study of philanthropic foundations, a comparative analysis of participation in charitable organizations, a collaborative study on the organizational dynamics of climate change, and a number of papers on child rights and environmental policies. He has also been awarded for his teaching, written extensively for the popular scholarly magazine Contexts, and is the co-editor of Social Theory Re-Wired(Routledge 2012).
- Grant, Don, Andrew K. Jorgenson, and Wesley Longhofer. Forthcoming. "Targeting Electricity's Extreme Polluters to Reduce Energy-Related CO2 Emissions." Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences.
- Kim, Minzee, Wesley Longhofer, Elizabeth H. Boyle, and Hollie Nyseth. 2013. "When Do Laws Matter? National Minimum-Age-of-Marriage Laws, Child Rights, and Adolescent Fertility, 1989-2007." Law & Society Review 47(3): 589-619.
- Schofer, Evan, David John Frank, Ann Hironaka, and Wesley Longhofer. 2012. "Sociological Institutionalism and World Society." In The New Blackwell Companion to Political Sociology, edited by E. Amenta, K. Nash, and A. Scott. Oxford, UK: Blackwell.
- Longhofer, Wesley and Daniel Winchester, eds. 2012. Social Theory Re-Wired: New Connections to Classical and Contemporary Perspectives. New York: Routledge.
- Schofer, Evan and Wesley Longhofer. 2011. "The Structural Sources of Association." American Journal of Sociology 117(2): 539-585.
- Longhofer, Wesley and Evan Schofer. 2010. "National and Global Origins of Environmental Association." American Sociological Review 71(4): 505-533.
- Longhofer, Wesley, Shannon Golden, and Arturo Baiocchi. 2010. "A Fresh Look at Sociology's Bestsellers." Contexts 9(2): 18-25.
- Goldman, Michael and Wesley Longhofer. 2009. "Making Global Cities." Contexts 8(1): 32-36.
- Katovich, Michael and Wesley Longhofer. 2009. "Mystification of Rock." Pp. 389-415 in Studies in Symbolic Interaction, volume 33, edited by N. K. Denzin. Bingley, UK: Emerald.
- Frank, David John, Wesley Longhofer, and Evan Schofer. 2007. "World Society, NGOs, and Environmental Policy Reform in Asia." International Journal of Comparative Sociology 48(4): 275-295.
- "Institutional Origins of Global Philanthropic Activity."
- "A Comparative Analysis of Corporate-Sponsored and Independent Foundations" (with Justin Koushyar and Peter Roberts).
"Global Policy Diffusion in the Context of Conflicting Institutional Forces: The Case of Abortion Laws" (with Elizabeth H. Boyle and Minzee Kim).
"Membership has its Privileges: Shared International Organizational Affiliation on Foreign Aid Flows, 1978-2010" (with Liam Swiss).
"Structural Adjustment and National Income Inequality, 1980-2000" (with Evan Schofer).
"NGOs, INGOs, and Social Change: Environmental Policy Reform in the Developing World, 1970-1995" (with David John Frank and Evan Schofer).
"Decoupling Reconsidered: Does World Polity Integration Influence the Relationship Between the Environment and Economic Development?" (with Andrew K. Jorgenson).
Areas of Specialization
- Organizational Sociology
- Institutional Theory
- Philanthropy and Non-Profits
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Comparitive Political Sociology
- Environmental Sociology
Achievements and Honors
- Don Martindale Award, Department of Sociology, University of Minnesota, 2011
- Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, University of Minnesota, 2010-2011
Memberships and Activities
- American Sociological Association
- Academy of Management
- Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action
- Law and Society Association
- Scholars Strategy Network
- Ph.D. Ph.D. in Sociology, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN/United States 2011
- Bachelor's BA in Sociology, Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, TX/United States 2003