- Professor in the Practice of Organization & Management
Mailing Address:Goizueta Business School
1300 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322
Professor Gilkey holds a joint appointment at Emory University, where he serves on the faculty of the Goizueta Business School as a professor in the practice of organization and management, and the School of Medicine, where he is an associate professor of psychiatry. He is the recipient of the university's highest teaching honor, the Emory Williams Award. Rick also serves on the faculty of Duke Corporate Education.
Current research is in the area of neuro-imaging, which involves the use of MRI scanning technology to gain images of executives who are involved in strategic thinking, moral reasoning and creative problem solving. This research focuses on understanding how the brain operates in high level cognitive tasks of an executive population, and how to facilitate these types of learning and thinking.
Rick Gilkey's articles have appeared in several leading professional journals, and he has served as an editorial consultant to The New York Times and Fortune Magazine. Rick is co-author of a book on post-merger management entitled "Joining Forces: Creating and Managing Successful Mergers and Acquisitions", (Prentice-Hall), and he is a contributing author to "Organizations on the Couch: Psychoanalytic Approaches to Understanding Organizational Dynamics". He is also editor of "The 21st Century Healthcare Leader", and contributing author to a book on strategic corporate leadership entitled, The "Agile Organization", published by Jossey-Bass. His forthcoming book on "Executive Coaching", co-authored with Randall White, Ph.D., will be published by Aronson Press in the fall of 2002.
- Executive Coaching (co-authored with Randall White, Ph.D.)
- Joining Forces: Creating and Managing Successful Mergers and Acquisitions
- Organizations on the Couch: Psychoanalytic Approaches to Understanding Organizational Dynamics (contributing author)
- The Agile Organization (contributing author)
- The 21st Century Healthcare Leader (editor)
Achievements and Honors
- The Emory Williams Award, Emory University
Selected Consulting Clients
- Coca-Cola, General Electric, IBM, Johnson & Johnson, MCI, Merck
- Morgan Stanley, UPS, Warner-Lambert, Zeneca and Zurich Financial
- Non-Profit Organizations: CARE, CDC, and the US Department of State
- Ph.D., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 1977
- Master's, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 1973
- Master's, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 1971
- Bachelor's (cum laude), Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, MI 1968