Kevin P. Coyne
- Senior Teaching Professor in Organization & Management
- Phone: 404-727-5451
- Fax: 404-727-6313
Mailing Address:Goizueta Business School
1300 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322
Kevin Coyne accepted a part-time teaching position at Goizueta Business School in 2008. He has also taught at the Harvard Business School. At Goizueta, Coyne will deliver a distinguished lecture series and teach an elective course on advanced strategy. A graduate of Harvard Business School and Rice University, Coyne is the co-founder and managing director of The Coyne Partnership, Inc., an Atlanta boutique consulting firm offering state-of-the-art corporate strategy to senior executives and boards of directors in both private and public organizations. He was previously a senior partner at McKinsey & Company, where he co-led their strategy practice, and consulted for over two decades on every continent in more than twenty industries. He continues to serve as a senior external adviser to McKinsey on a part-time basis. Coyne has also conducted international negotiations for the US government and has served as a policy advisor to the US Department of the Treasury. His current research interests include breakthrough thinking, the US retirement market, sustainable competitive advantage, and the development of new theories and approaches to management. The author of over forty articles, as well as an edited book, Coyne has been quoted in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Washington Post, Financial Times, BusinessWeek.com, CNBC, CBS News.com, Boston Globe, and many other media outlets.
- "Predicting Your Competitor's Reaction", with John Horn, Harvard Business Review, April 2009.
- “CEOs: A Bear Market Pays Attention, Too” BusinessWeek.com , July 29, 2008.
- “Why CEOs Should Want More Strategic Boards” with Shawn T. Coyne, and Edward J. Coyne, MWorld-Journal of the American Management Association, Summer 2008.
- “New CEO, Old Team”, with Shawn T. Coyne and Edward J. Coyne, Chief Executive, April/May 2008.
- “A Green and Bumpy Road for CEOs ,” BusinessWeek.com, April 7, 2008.
- “How to Plan an Effective Board Retreat ,” BusinessWeek.com, online version, video, March 6, 2008.
- “Recessions Call for More Creativity, Not Less ,” with S. Coyne, Harvard Business Online, January 31, 2008.
- “Building Morale When Times Are Bad,” BusinessWeek.com, January 30, 2008.
- “The Rising Tide of Widespread Cheating,” Harvard Business Online, December 26, 2007.
- “The Call for a Cultural Change Among Wall Street's Titans ,” Financial Times, Judgment Call: December 19, 2007.
- “Breakthrough Thinking from Inside the Box,” with P. Gorman Clifford and R. Dye, Harvard Business Review, December 1, 2007.
- “Strategy a Touch Climb? Hire a Sherpa,” with E. Coyne, Directorship, October/November 2007.
- “An Unheard Word From Our Sponsors,” Forbes.com, Commentary: July 27, 2007.
- “What's Left For the CEO Under An Executive Chairman?” Financial Times, Judgment Call: July 18, 2007.
- “Surviving Your New CEO,” with E. Coyne, Harvard Business Review, May 2007.
- “When Do Talks with Private Equity Predators Cross the Line?” Financial Times, Judgment Call, April 25, 2007.
- “Called To Lead, ” Leadership Excellence, April 1, 2007.
- “A Guide for the CEO Elect,” with B. Rao, McKinsey Quarterly, Number 3, (2005): 118-126.
- “Can Banks Grow Beyond M&A?” with L. Mendonca and G. Wilson, McKinsey Quarterly, Number 1 (2004): 72-81.
- “Taking the Mystery Out of Investor Behavior,” with J. Witter, HarvardBusiness Review, September 2002.
- Strategic Dynamic Resources: Development, Diffusion, and Integration , ed. M. Hitt, P. Clifford, R. Nixon and K. Coyne, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
Areas of Specialization
- Strategy theory and practice
- Corporate finance
- Master's, Harvard Business School, Cambridge, MA 1978
- Bachelor's Managerial Studies/Architectural Studies, Rice University, Houston, TX 1978