Assistant Professor of Marketing
View Full CV
Goizueta Business School
1300 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322 USA
Ashish Sood is a professor of marketing at the Emory University and an expert in the areas of technology evolution and product innovation, and new product diffusion in emerging markets. His research has been published in top journals including Marketing Science and the Journal of Marketing, and won numerous research awards and grants. His paper are highly cited and the findings from his research have been published and re-printed in more than 40 books (e.g. Springer, Blackwell, and Wiley), thought-leadership publications (e.g. E&Y, Montgomery Research, Accenture, MSI’s Knowledge series), and business press (The New York Times, and the Wall Street Journal). Professor Sood regularly chairs special sessions in research conferences and has been invited to talk at more than 10 top international schools. Professor Sood teaches marketing strategy to the undergraduates, MBA and PhD students at Goizueta Business School. He won the Teaching Excellence Award at University of Southern California. Prior to joining the academia, he worked in the industry for twelve years in India and Singapore. Professor Sood is also an expert in quality management and TQM, and has conducted assessments of organizations for the Singapore Quality Award. He was the Lead Assessor for international standards ISO 9001 and ISO 14001, and consulted with firms in India and Singapore on quality management and environmental management.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Sood, Ashish, Gareth James, Gerard J. Tellis (2012) "Predicting the Path of Technological Innovation: SAW Versus Moore, Bass, Gompertz, and Kryder," Marketing Science
- Sood, Ashish and Gerard J. Tellis (2011), "Demystifying Disruption: A New Model for Understanding and Predicting Disruptive Technologies," Marketing Science, 2011 30: 339-354
- Sood, Ashish and Gerard J. Tellis (2011), "Technical Appendix," Marketing Science
- Marketing Science Institute Top Five MSI Reports Downloaded in 2010
- Sood, Ashish and Gerard J. Tellis (2009) "Do Innovations Really Payoff? Total Stock Market Returns to Innovation" Marketing Science, 28(3) 442-456.
SSRN's Top Ten Marketing Network Jun-Dec 2008
- Sood, Ashish, Gareth James, Gerard J. Tellis (2009) "Functional Regression: A New Model for Predicting Market Penetration of New Products", Marketing Science, 2009 28: 36-51.
SSRN's Top Ten May 2010
- Sood, Ashish and Gerard J. Tellis (2005), "Technological Evolution and Radical Innovation," Journal of Marketing, 69, 3, 152-168.
- Spotlight articles on my paper: Lantos Geoffrey P. "Technological Evolution and Radical Innovation," The Journal of Product Innovation Management; 23:581-585; 2006
- SSRN's Top Ten ERPN: Innovation Dec 2010
- James Gareth and Ashish Sood (2005) "Performing Hypothesis Tests on the Shape of Functional Data," Computational Statistics and Data Analysis, Vol. 50, Iss. 1.
Other Publications/ Refereed Proceedings (Invited Papers Based On My Publications)
- "Choosing the Right Technology - A Framework for Success," Performance, Ernst & Young Thought Leadership Magazine, 2011.
- "Do Innovations Really Payoff?" Total Stock Market Returns to Innovation,"Performance, Ernst & Young Thought Leadership Magazine, 2010.
- "The Myth of S-Curves: Technological Evolution and Product Innovation," inSide, The Consortium for Graduate Study in Management.
- "A New Framework to Help Firms Select among Competing Technologies,"Visions , PDMA, Cover Story, Vol. XXXIV NO. 3, 18-23, Oct. 2010.
- "Innovation Does Payoff - If You Measure Correctly," Research Technology Management. Arlington: Vol. 52, Iss. 4, 13-16, Jul-Aug 2009.
- "How to Back the Right Technology," Business Insights, MIT SLoan Management Review-Wall Street Journal, (Eastern edition). New York, N.Y.: Dec 15, 2008. p. R.8.
- "The Myth of S-Curves:Technological Evolution and Product Innovation",Strategic Innovators,Indian Institute of Planning & Management, 2008.
- "Understanding Technology Evolution - The Fallacy of S-Curves", i-PERFORM Marketing 2.0 Authority, Montgomery Research, Inc. and Accenture, 2008.
- "The Myth of S-Curves – Technological Evolution and Product Innovation," Building Trust: Whose Business is it?, Effective Executive, IUP Publications, 2008
- "Understanding the Seeds of Growth: Technological Evolution and Product Innovation", Annual Thought Leadership book on CRM Transformation, Montgomery Research, Inc. and Accenture, 2007.
Book Chapters (Based on Peer-Reviewed Publications)
- "Marketing Applications of Functional Data Analysis" Functional and Operatorial Statistics, Springer Series: Contributions to Statistics, Dabo-Niang, Sophie; Ferraty, Frédéric (Eds.), XX, 304 p. 33, ISBN: 978-3-7908-2061-4, 2008.
- "Technology Transition," Encyclopedia on Technology, Innovation and Management, V. K. Narayanan and Gina Colarelli O'Connor; Wiley-Blackwell, 2010, ISBN: 978-1-4051-6049-0
- "Technology S-Curve" Wiley International Encyclopedia of Marketing, Jagdish Sheth and Naresh K Malhotra, Blackwell Publishing, 2010, ISBN: 9781444316568
- "GE/McKinsey Matrix" Wiley International Encyclopedia of Marketing, Jagdish Sheth and Naresh K Malhotra, Blackwell Publishing, 2010, ISBN: 9781444316568
- "Product Diversification" Wiley International Encyclopedia of Marketing, Jagdish Sheth and Naresh K Malhotra, Blackwell Publishing, 2010, ISBN: 9781444316568
- "Technological Evolution" Empirical Generalizations about Marketing Impact,MSI’s Relevant Knowledge series, edited by Dominique Hanssens 2009, 09-600.
- "Innovation Typologies" Wiley International Encyclopedia of Marketing, Chandy, R. K. and Prabhu, J. C. 2010, ISBN: 9781444316568.
Marketing Science Institute Papers and Other Working Papers
- "Demystifying Disruption: A New Model for Understanding and Predicting Disruptive Technologies," MSI Working Paper Series 2010,10-102.
- Sood, Ashish, Gareth James, Gerard J. Tellis, "Functional Data Analysis: A New Approach for Predicting Market Penetration of New Products", MSI Working Paper Series, 2008, 08-200.
- "Do Innovations Really Payoff? Total Stock Market Returns to Innovation"MSI Working Paper Series, 2008, 08-116 - LEAD ARTICLE
- "The S-Curve of Technological Evolution: Strategic Law or Self-Fulfilling Prophecy?" MSI Working Paper Series, 2005, 04-116.
- Sood, Ashish and Stefan Stremersch (2010), "Deviation Among Technology Reviews: An Informative Enrichment of Technology Evolution Theory for Marketing," ERIM Report Series, Erasmus University, Reference No. ERS-2010-005-MKT
- "Research Productivity and Returns to Market Entry Decisions Hi-Tech Markets,” Center for Research on Technology & Innovation (CRTI),Kellogg School of Business, 2005
- ""Can Social Media Spur Companies to Increase R&D Spending?,"Knowledge@Emory, Jan. 21, 2011"
- ""Understanding Disruptive Technologies: Who wins, who loses?" Insights from MSI, 2010"
- "“Will E-Reader Innovation Capture Customers and More Market Share?,” Knowledge@Emory, Dec. 17, 2009."
- "“Do Innovations Really Payoff? Total Stock Market Returns to Innovation,” PDMA Visions – Insights into Innovation, Vol XXXIII No. 3, Oct. 2009."
- ""Innovation Pays Off- Research Shows," Michael Wolff, Research Technology Management, Nov.- Dec., 2008"
- "“Why Innovation Will Revive the Tech Sector,” Knowledge@Emory, Apr. 17, 2009."
- ""Strategies: To Make a Stock Pop, Innovate," Mark Hulbert, THE NEW YORK TIMES, August 30, 2008 (Also featured in The International Herald Tribune and Financial Express)"
- ""The Myth of S-Curves: Technological Evolution and Product Innovation," Consortium for Graduate Study in Management, 2008."
- ""Searching For Signs of Technological Innovation In The Ruins of the American Economy - Does The "S" Curve Explain Anything About American Technological Innovation?," Thomas Vass, New Technology Market News, eCarolinaNewswire.com, 08-06-2008"
- ""Video Discussion on Youtube,", USC Marshall - Gerard Tellis Interview on paper "Technology Evolution and Radical Innovations""
- ""Are Investments in Innovations Worthwhile?" The Stock Markets Channel, Paley Media, June 25 2008"
- ""Do Innovations Ever Payoff? Total Stock Market Returns to Innovation" , Knowledge@Emory, 2008"
- ""New Model for Predicting the Trajectory of New and Existing Products",Knowledge@Emory , 2008"
- ""Sony's Blu-Ray Victory: Learning to Catch the Technology Wave?",Knowledge@Emory, 2008"
- ""How Does a Technology Improve? - An Argument for Reinvesting in the Light Bulb", Knowledge@Emory, 2005"
- "A New View of Technological Innovation" Insights from MSI, 2005"
- ""A New View of Technological Innovation" Insights from MSI, 2005"
- "“A New Look at Returns on Investments in Innovation," Jane Gebhart,Insights from MSI, 2008."
- ""A New Approach to Predicting Market Penetration" Insights from MSI, Spring 2008"
- "Assistant Professor, Goizueta Business School, Emory University, 2005 till date"
- "Instructor and Research Assistant, University of Southern California, 2001-2004"
- "Instructor, Nanyang Business School, Singapore, 1999-2001"
- "Product Quality Manager, Philips Electronics Singapore Pte. Ltd., Singapore, 1997-2001"
- "Marketing Manager, Megahertz Infosys Pvt. Ltd, Delhi, India, 1995-1997"
- "Area Sales Manager, Crompton Greaves Ltd. Delhi, India, 1989-1995"
|PhD||Marketing||University of Southern California||Los Angeles, CA|
|MBA||Management of Technology||Nanyang Technological University ||Singapore|
|Bachelor of Engineering||Electrical||Delhi College of Engineering||Delhi|