- Goizueta Term Chair
- Caldwell Research Fellow
- Associate Professor of Marketing
- Phone: (404) 727-5275
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
BiographyDavid Schweidel joined the Goizueta Business School faculty in 2012 where he is co-director of the Emory Marketing Analytics Center (EmoryMAC). His research focuses on the development and application of statistical models to understand customer behavior, specifically in the context of customer relationship management and customer valuation. His current research explores the use of social media as a means of marketing intelligence. His research has appeared in publications including Marketing Science, Management Science, Journal of Marketing Research, and Journal of Marketing. He completed his PhD at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania in 2006. Prior to joining Goizueta, he was on the faculty at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Business. While at the Wisconsin School of Business, he received junior faculty research and teaching awards. He was invited to participate in the Marketing Science Institute's biennial Young Scholar Program in 2011 and received MSI’s best paper award in 2014. Schweidel is co-author of Social Media Intelligence and author of Profiting from the Data Economy.
- Schweidel, David A., Eric T. Bradlow and Patti Williams (2006), "A Feature-Based Approach to Assessing Advertisement Similarity," Journal of Marketing Research, 43 (2), 237-243
- Schweidel, David A., Peter S. Fader and Eric T. Bradlow (2008), "Understanding Subscriber Retention Within and Across Cohorts Using Limited Information," Journal of Marketing, 72 (1), 82-94.
- Schweidel, David A., Peter S. Fader and Eric T. Bradlow (2008), "A Bivariate Timing Model of Customer Acquisition and Retention," Marketing Science, 27 (5), 829-843.
- Schweidel, David A. and Peter S. Fader, (2009) "Revisiting Dynamic Changepoints: An Evolving Process Model of New Product Sales," International Journal of Research in Marketing, 26 (2), 119-124.
- Schweidel, David A. and Robert J. Kent (2010), "Predictors of the Gap between Program and Commercial Audiences: An Investigation Using Live Tuning Data," Journal of Marketing, 74 (3), 18-33.
- Schweidel, David A., Eric T. Bradlow and Peter S. Fader (2011), "Portfolio Dynamics for Customers of a Multiservice Provider," Management Science, 57 (3), 471-486.
- Moe, Wendy W., David A. Schweidel and Michael Trusov (2011), "What Influences Customers’ Online Comments" MIT Sloan Management Review, 53 (1), 14-16.
- Braun, Michael and David A. Schweidel (2011), "Modeling Customer Lifetimes with Multiple Causes of Churn," Marketing Science, 30 (5), 881-902.
- Kent, Robert J. and David A. Schweidel (2011), "Introducing the Ad ECG: How the Set-top Box Tracks the Lifeline of Television," Journal of Advertising Research, 51 (4), 586-593.
- Moe, Wendy W. and David A. Schweidel (2012), "Online Product Opinions: Incidence, Evaluation and Evolution," Marketing Science, 31 (3), 372-386.
- Goldstein, Kenneth, David A. Schweidel and Mike B. Wittenwyler (2012), "Lessons Learned: Political Advertising and Political Law," Minnesota Law Review, 96 (5), 1732-1754.
- Schweidel, David A. and George Knox (2013), "Incorporating Direct Marketing Activity into Latent Attrition Models," Marketing Science, 32 (3), 471-487.
- Johnson, Jennifer Wiggins, Joann Peck and David A. Schweidel (2014), "Can Purchase Behavior Predict Relationship Perceptions and Willingness to Donate," Psychology and Marketing, forthcoming.
- Park, Chang Hee, Young-Hoon Park and David A. Schweidel (2014), "A Multi-category Customer Base Analysis," International Journal of Research in Marketing, forthcoming.
- Schweidel, David A. and Wendy W. Moe (2014), "Listening in on Social Media: A Joint Model of Sentiment and Venue Format Choice," Journal of Marketing Research, forthcoming.
- Schweidel, David A., Natasha Foutz and Robin J. Tanner, "Synergy or Interference: The Effect of Product Placement on Commercial Break Audience Decline," conditionally accepted at Marketing Science.
- Fossen, Beth L., David A. Schweidel and Michael Lewis, "Performance Premiums and Advertising: An Application to Human Brands in Political Races," under review at Marketing Science
- Braun, Michael, David A. Schweidel and Eli Stein, "Customer Base Analysis with Service Quality Data," revising for 2nd round at Journal of Marketing Research
- Wang, Yanwen, Michael Lewis, David A. Schweidel and Manish Tripathi, "The Value and Management of Candidates' Social Media Communities: An Empirical Analysis of Congressional Elections in 2010 and 2012," revising for resubmission to Journal of Marketing Research
- Zhang, Yuchi, Wendy W. Moe and David A. Schweidel, "Drivers of Social Media Rebroadcasting: Drivers of Social Media Rebroadcasting: Investigating the Role of Message Content and Influencers," revising for resubmission to Journal of Marketing Research
Memberships and Activities
- American Marketing Association
- American Statistical Association
- Ph.D. Marketing , The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 2006
- Master's in Statistics , The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 2004
- Bachelor's Arts in Mathematics, minors in Economics and Actuarial Mathematics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 2001