- John and Lucy Cook Professor of Information Strategy
- Phone: 404-727-7867
- Fax: 404-727-0868
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
Maryam Alavi is the John and Lucy Cook Professor of information strategy. Since joining Goizueta from the University of Maryland, where she was the Orkand Professor of Information Systems and Chairperson of the IS Department, she has served in multiple senior administrative roles including that of Interim Dean. As an expert in IT and knowledge management, and technology-mediated learning, Maryam has authored 70 published papers and has served on editorial boards of several prestigious academic journals. She has taught executive education courses at Harvard Business School and Duke University, among others, and has consulted with organizations including AT&T, KPMG Peat Marwick, IBM, Marriott Corporation, the American College of Physicians, the General Accounting Office, and the World Bank. Her international work experience includes teaching graduate and executive education programs in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and Asia. She is a two-term board member of the Georgia Technology Authority appointed by the Governor of the State of Georgia and is the architect of the School's student leadership development program.
Knowledge Management and Knowledge Management Systems: Conceptual Foundations and Research Issues, MIS Quarterly, Volume 25, No. 1, 2001
Technology-Mediated Learning: A Call for Greater Depth and Breadth of Research, Information Systems Research, Volume 12, No. 1, March 2001
Media and Group Cohesion Relative Influence on Social Presence, Task, Participation, and Group Cohesiveness, MIS Quarterly, Volume 25, No. 3, September 2001
Knowledge Integration in Virtual Teams: The Potential Role of Knowledge Management Systems, Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Volume 53, No. 12, 2002
A Comparative Study of Distributed Learning Environments on Learning Outcomes, Information Systems Research, Volume 13, No. 4, December 2002
Using Information Technology in Learning: Case Studies in Business and Management Education Programs, Academy of Management Learning and Education, Vol. 2, July 2003.
Distributed Learning Environments, IEEE Computer, January 2004.
An Empirical Examination of the Influence of Organization on KM Practices, Journal of MIS, Winter/Spring 2005-2006.
Information Technology and Organizational Learning: An Investigation of Exploitation and Exploration Processes, Organization Science, December 2007.
- Casting the Net: A Multimodal Network Perspective on User-System Interactions, Information Systems Research, Vol. 19, No. 3, September 2008.
Areas of Specialization
- Knowledge management networks
- Technology-mediated learning
- e-business systems and process design
Achievements and Honors
- Distinguished Scholar-Teacher Award (1994 - 1995), the Alan Krowe Award in Teaching Innovation (1996), and the Outstanding Service Award (1998) all from the University of Maryland at College Park
- Marvin Bower Faculty Fellowship, Graduate School of Business, Harvard University, 1996-1997
- Inducted as a Fellow of the Association for Information Systems, 2000
- Keough Award of Excellence, Goizueta Business School, Emory University, 2005
- Hooker Distinguished Visiting Professor, McMaster University, September 30 - October 2, 2008
Memberships and Activities
- 1995-1998 and 1998-2001 elected Vice President of Education for the Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- Associate editor of Information Systems Research (1991 to 2004), Journal of Management Information Systems (1985 to present), Strategic Information Technology (1991 to present)
- Associate editor of MIS Quarterly (1987 to 1990) and Information and Management (1995 to 1997)
- Served on the editorial board of Encyclopedia of Computer and Information Systems (1999-2002)
- Program chair for the 1990 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS) and the chair of the 1995 ICIS/Ernest & Young Doctoral Consortium, 1995
Selected Consulting Clients
- The American Academy of Physicians
- The Aspen Institute
- The Environmental Protection Agency
- General Accounting Office
- KPMG Peat Marwick, USA
- Marriott Corporation
- The World Bank
- Ph.D. in Management Information System, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Master's in Computer Science, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Bachelor's in Computer Science and Mathematics, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY