- Assistant Professor of Finance
- Phone: (404) 727-6351
- Fax: (404) 727-5238
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
BiographyBreno Schmidt joined the Goizueta Business School faculty in 2009 after receiving a PhD in finance from the Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California. He holds an MS in economics from the Graduate School of Economics at Fundação Getulio Vargas (EPGE/FGV), Brazil, and a BS in economics from the Pontiﬁcal Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio). His work focuses on the organization and governance of corporations and mutual funds. His current research interests include the impact of social networks on corporate governance, the behavior of empire builders during merger waves, and how firms manage liquidity risk.
- “Attracting Flows by Attracting Big Clients,” with L. Cohen, Journal of Finance (forthcoming).Winner of Quantitative Analysts Award for best paper on quantitative investments, Western Finance Association, 2007 Winner of BGI Best Paper Prize, Asset Allocation Symposium, European Finance Association, 2006
- "Cash Flow Hedging and Corporate Liquidity Choices," with D. Disatnik and R. Duchin, 2009.
- “Costs and Benefits of ‘Friendly’ Boards during Mergers and Acquisitions,” Job market paper, 2008. Winner of Michael J. Barclay Award for the best PhD student paper, Financial Research Association, 2008
- “Riding the Merger Wave,” with R. Duchin, 2008.
Areas of Specialization
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Mutual funds
Achievements and Honors
- Michael J. Barclay Award for best PhD student paper, Financial Research Association, 2008
- Society of Quantitative Analysts Award for best paper on quantitative investments, Western Finance Association, 2007
- Barclays Global Investors Best Paper Prize, Asset Allocation Symposium, European Finance Association, 2006
- University of Southern California Doctoral Fellowship, 2004-2009
- Top graduating student in the Master in Economics Program, EPGE-FGV, 2001
- CNPq Fellowship for graduate studies, 1999
- PIBIC Fellowship for undergraduate studies, 1997
- Ph.D. Finance, Marshall School of Business, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 2009
- Master's Economics, Graduate School of Economics, Fundação Getulio Vargas (EPGE/FGV), Brazil 2001
- Bachelor's Science in Economics, Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Jeneiro (PUC-Rio), Brazil 1998