- Asa Griggs Candler Professor of Accounting
- Phone: 404-727-6589
- Fax: 404-727-6313
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
BiographyGregory Waymire is the Asa Griggs Candler Professor of Accounting at the Goizueta Business School at Emory University. He has been a member of the Goizueta faculty since 1990. He previously served as President of the Financial Accounting and Reporting Section and Vice-President of Research for the American Accounting Association. Waymire will serve as President-Elect and President of the American Accounting Association in 2010-11 and 2011-12, respectively.
- King, R., G. Pownall, and G. Waymire, 1990. Expectations adjustment via timely management forecasts: Review, synthesis, and suggestions for future research. Journal of Accounting Literature 9: 113-144.
- Sivakumar, K., B. Porter, and G. Waymire, 1995. Disclosure policies and shareholder wealth in the early 20th century: The case of the American Sugar Refining Company. Journal of Accounting, Auditing, and Finance 10 (1): 121-145.
- Ely, K. and G. Waymire, 1999. Accounting standard-setting organizations and earnings relevance: Longitudinal evidence from NYSE common stocks, 1927-93. Journal of Accounting Research 37 (2): 293-317.
- Ely, K. and G. Waymire, 1999. Intangible assets and stock prices in the pre-SEC era. Journal of Accounting Research 37 (Supplement): 17-44.
- Sivakumar, K. and G. Waymire, 2003. Enforceable accounting rules and income measurement by early 20th century railroads. Journal of Accounting Research 41 (2): 397-432.
- Barton, J. and G. Waymire, 2004. Investor protection under unregulated financial reporting. Journal of Accounting and Economics 38: 65-116.
- Basu, S. and G. Waymire, 2006. Recordkeeping and human evolution. Accounting Horizons 20 (3): 201-229. (Recipient of 2006 Best Paper Award for Accounting Horizons.)
- Waymire, G. and S. Basu, 2007. Accounting is an evolved economic institution. Foundations and Trends in Accounting 2 (1-2): 1-174.
- Waymire, G., 2009. Exchange guidance is the fundamental demand for accounting. The Accounting Review 84 (1): 53-62.
- Basu, S., J. Dickhaut, G. Hecht, K. Towry, and G. Waymire, 2009. Recordkeeping alters economic history by promoting reciprocity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 196 (4): 1009-1014. (Published online in PNAS Early Edition January 15, 2009).
- Basu, S., M. Kirk, and G. Waymire, 2009. Memory, transaction records, and The Wealth of Nations. Accounting, Organizations, and Society 34 (8): 895-917.
- Dickhaut, J., S. Basu, K. McCabe, and G. Waymire, in press 2010. NeuroAccounting: Consilience between the biologically-evolved brain and culturally-evolved accounting principles. Accounting Horizons.
Areas of Specialization
- The spontaneous emergence of accounting standards throgh knowledge sharing
- Accountability and language as mechanisms to produce trust in economic exchange
- Underpinnings of the FASB's conceptual framework
- The role of accounting in periods of economic crisis
- The emergence of U.S. information intermediaries in the pre-SEC Era
- Ph.D. Accounting , University of Chicago , Chicago, IL 1984
- Master's Business, University of Chicago , Chicago, IL 1980
- Bachelor's Arts & Sciences in Business , Indiana University, Bloomington, IN 1978