- Professor of Accounting
Mailing Address:1300 Clifton Road
Atlanta, GA 30322
Grace Pownall joined the Goizueta Business School faculty in the fall of 1993, and served as Accounting Area Coordinator from 1993-1998. She is currently the GBS Associate Dean and Director of Doctoral Studies. She has published research on corporate disclosure incentives and practices, and on information in global capital markets, in Journal of Accounting Research, The Accounting Review, Contemporary Accounting Research, and several other journals. She has served as Associate Editor (1999-2002) and on the editorial board (2005-2008) of The Accounting Review and several other journals. She also serves as ad hoc reviewer for various accounting, finance, and economics journals.
Professor Pownall served as Vice-President of the American Accounting Association (1999-2001), and Director of the AAA 1999 Doctoral Consortium. She has served in several roles in the AAA Doctoral Consortium and in the AAA New Faculty Consortium, and on several committees of the American Accounting Association, the International Accounting Section, the Financial Accounting and Reporting Section, and the Accounting Programs Leadership Group.
- Which Performance Measures Do Investors Around the World Value the Most -- and Why? (with Jan Barton and Bowe Hansen) The Accounting Review May 2010.
- The Robustness of the Sarbanes Oxley Effect on the U.S. Capital Market (with Bowe Hansen and Xue Wang) Review of Accounting Studies September 2009.
- The Information Intermediary Role of Short Sellers (with Paul Simko) The Accounting Review, July 2005
- Shareholder vs. Stakeholder Focused Japanese Companies: Firm-Characteristics and Accounting Valuation (with Kirsten Ely) Contemporary Accounting Research, December 2002
- Implications of Accounting Research for the SEC's Consideration of International Accounting Standards for US Securities Offerings (with Katherine Schipper) Accounting Horizons, September 1999
- How Frequently Do Managers Disclose Prospective Earnings Information? (with Charlie Kile and Greg Waymire) The Journal of Financial Statement Analysis, Spring 1998
- Interdependencies in the Global Markets for Capital and Information: The Case of Smithkline-Beecham (with Carol Ann Frost) Accounting Horizons, March 1996
- Accounting Disclosure Practices in the U.S. and the U.K. (with Carol Ann Frost) Journal of Accounting Research, Spring 1994
- A Comparison of the Stock Price Response to Earnings-related Accounting Disclosures in the U.S. and the U.K. (with Carol Ann Frost) Contemporary Accounting Research, Summer 1994
- The Stock Price Effects of Alternative Types of Management Earnings Forecasts (with Charlie Wasley and Greg Waymire) The Accounting Review, October 1993
- "The Effects of the Integration of the Euronext Stock Market on Financial ReportingQuality and Liquidity of Listed Companies" (June 2010,with Maria Vulcheva and Xue Wang).
- "Relaxing the Reconciliation Requirement in Non-U.S. Firms' SEC Filings: Changes in GAAP, Changes in Earnings Attributes, Changes in Earnings Informativeness" (June 2010, with Bowe Hansen, Rachna Prakash and Maria Vulcheva).
- "The Effects of the Mandatory Adoption of IFRS on Emerging Markets Economies" (March 2010, with Maria Vulcheva).
Areas of Specialization
- Information and Global Capital Markets
- Voluntary Disclosure Incentives and Practices
- International Accounting
- Ph.D. Ph.D. in Accounting and Economics, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL/United States 1985
- Master's MBA, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL/United States 1985
- Bachelor's BS, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL/United States 1980