Professor Emeritus of Accounting
Goizueta Business School
1300 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322 USA
(H) 128 Summer Squall Lane
Aiken, SC 29803
Al has been a member of the Goizueta Business School faculty since 1980, and has held several administrative posts at Goizueta including Acting Dean, Senior Associate Dean, and Assistant Dean and Director of MBA Programs. He has been a Guest Professor on several occasions at the Helsinki School of Business and Economics in Helsinki, Finland and at Johannes Kepler University in Linz, Austria.
- Enron: What Happened and What We Can Learn From It, with George J. Benston, Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, August 2002
- The Evolving Accounting Standards for Special Purpose Entities (SPEs) and Consolidations, with George J. Benston, Accounting Horizons, September 2002
- Measuring Corporate Performance: The Perils of Turning to Cash Flow, with Ray Hill and George J. Benston, Public Utilities Fortnightly, May 15, 2003
- Andersen's Role in Enron's Failure, DBW - Die Betriebswirtschaft, December 2004
- Managerial Accounting, Sixth Edition, by Hartgraves and Morse, Cambridge Business Publishers, 2012
- Financial and Managerial Accounting for MBAs, Second Edition, by Easton, Halsey, Mcannally, Hartgraves, and Morse, Cambridge Business Publishers, 2010.
Areas of Specialization
- Al's teaching has focused on financial reporting and strategic cost management in the MBA and Executive MBA Programs.
- He has also taught in these areas in open enrollment and custom non-degree executive education programs.
- He served as Faculty Director for the Emory/LIMAK Austrian General Management Program and several other executive programs.
Achievements and Honors
- MBA Distinguished Educator Award, 1992 & 1996
- Executive MBA Distinguished Educator Award, 1992
- Weekend Executive MBA Distinguished Educator Award, 2007
- Modular Executive MBA Distinguished Educator Award, 2010 ; MEMBA Specialty awards 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010
- Evening MBA Distinguished Educator Award, 1995
- MBA Teaching Excellence Award, 2002 & 2004
- Donald Keough Outstanding Service Award, 1995
- Emory University Scholar/Teacher Award, 2002
- Accounting Educator of the Year, Georgia Society of CPAs, 2003
- Outstanding Faculty, Business Week Guide to the Best Business Schools, 1997 & 2003
- Financial Information Professional of the Year, Emory University Chapter, Beta Alpha Psi, 2007
- Honary Faculty Member, LIMAK Johannes Kepler University Business School, LInz, Austria, 2009.
Memberships and Activities
- He has served on the editorial board of Issues in Accounting Education and Southern Business Journal.
- He is a Life Member of the American Accounting Association and is also a member of the Institute of Management Accountants and the American Institute of CPAs.
Selected Consulting Clients
- Al has developed and presented executive workshops for many companies including The Home Depot, Kurt Salmon Associates, 3S Venture Alliance, BellSouth, BAPCO, Lend Lease, Lockheed, Southwire, and Riverwood International.
- In addition he has had consulting relationships with a variety of corporate organizations and law firms, and he served as an accounting advisor to the Enron Bankruptcy Examiner. He was a Visiting Scholar in the Atlanta office of KPMG.
|PhD||Robinson School of Business, Georgia State University|
|Dr (honoris causa)||Johannes Kepler University||Linz, Austria|
|MAcct||Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina|
|BSBA||Moore School of Business, University of South Carolina|
|Cerrtified Public Accountant (inactive)|
|Certified Management Accountant|