What can I gain from studying abroad? What are the personal and professional benefits?

There are so many benefits to studying abroad – almost too many to list:

  • Meet students (and make friends) from around the world
  • Improved understanding of language and cultural differences between people and nations
  • Develop self-confidence and problem-solving skills by adapting to new situations and challenges, and greater awareness of your own personality and culture
  • Develop foreign language skills
  • Increase your own marketability when you graduate – you will have gained experiences and knowledge that set you apart from other students
  • Have fun!

I only speak English. Where can I go?

The majority of the BBA Exchange Programs offer coursework in English, so besides English-speaking countries like the United Kingdom, Ireland, or Australia, you could also study in Austria, Brazil, China (mainland and Hong Kong), the Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, or Turkey.

At this time, foreign language proficiency at the Emory 212 level or higher, or native speaker proof, is required for ONLY the following programs:

  • Spanish: ESADE, ICADE, ITAM, Universidad Adolfo Ibanez, University of Navarra
  • French: Rouen Business School
  • Italian: University of Torino

I am proficient in a foreign language -- what are my options?

At this time, foreign language proficiency at the Emory 212 level or higher, or native speaker proof, is required for ONLY the following programs, at which students MUST take classes in a foreign language:

  • Spanish: ESADE, ICADE, ITAM, Universidad Adolfo Ibanez, University of Navarra,
  • French: Rouen Business School
  • Italian: University of Torino  

In addition to any of the English-speaking programs, we have other exchange opportunities for students with background in a foreign language, where students may opt to take classes in that language (levels of proficiency vary from program to program):

  • Chinese: China (Mandarin), Hong Kong (Mandarin and Cantonese)
  • Czech: Czech Republic
  • Danish: Denmark
  • Dutch: Holland
  • French: France
  • German: Austria, Germany, Switzerland
  • Greek: Greece
  • Hebrew: Israel
  • Hungarian: Hungary
  • Italian: Italy
  • Korea: South Korea
  • Portuguese: Brazil
  • Spanish: Chile, Mexico and Spain
  • Swedish: Sweden
  • Thai: Thailand
  • Turkish: Turkey

I'm not sure where I want to go - where can I find more information?

There are several ways to research the various programs and opportunities:

  • Online: Explore our prospective study abroad student section of the web site to learn more about our partner schools, host countries, funding resources and courses abroad
  • BBA International Programs: The BBA International Programs office offers advising appointments via the BBA Portal.
  • Student experience reports: Students are invited to read completed reports from students who have studied abroad in the past. These can be extremely helpful for getting a sense of what day-to-day life is like for students abroad. Reports are available on the BBA Portal.
  • Students!: Hear first hand from returning study abroad students as well as current international exchange students on what it is like to like and study abroad. Most students are excited to discuss their experiences with you! Lists of recent Goizueta students to study abroad are available on the BBA Portal.

Are the BBA International Exchange Programs open to any business concentration?

Yes, the exchange programs are open to all undergraduate business concentrations and CPA students in their undergraduate segment.

When is the best time for me to study abroad?

There is not necessarily one recommended time for all students – this varies depending on your degree plan and other goals. In general students find it easiest to plan a semester abroad during the junior year. Keep in mind you are required to spend at least one semester at Goizueta before going abroad.

It is not possible to study abroad in your final semester while taking any courses you may need to finish your degree. If you wish to study abroad at the end of your academic career, you will be eligible to graduate the semester following your study abroad semester.

Studying abroad the semester before you plan to graduate requires careful advance planning, as you may not know how all of your classes from abroad will count toward your degree by the time you register for your final semester's classes. To ensure the smoothest process, it's helpful to have at least a semester remaining at Emory after your semester abroad.

Which school would provide my best fit?

This depends completely on you and your personal, academic and professional goals. This is probably the most individual and personal decision you will make during your Emory career! Various factors in deciding what school is best for you may include course selections, language goals, location or climate, personal interests, family history, etc. View the Choosing the Right Program page to help you decided. You should review all the possibilities, because the best option for you might not be obvious at first. Make an advising appointment with BBA International Programs to talk about your choices.

If I can't find a BBA International Exchange Program I want to go on, are there other options?

Yes, provided you have an academically compelling reason to choose a different program. The most common one is students with second majors who participate in CIPA semester study abroad trips. On rare occasions, students identify business study interests at a school not on Goizueta's or CIPA's lists. In this case, there is a petition process. See BBA International Programs for more information. Business students also have the option to study abroad during the summer while earning through CIPA programs, which grant GER or second major but not business credit.

Back to top

Course Academics

Can I study abroad and still graduate on time?

Yes – the BBA international exchange programs are designed to integrate with your studies here, so you will take courses abroad that count for degree requirements you need. It helps to plan ahead as much as possible, of course. Visit the Academics section of the web site to see recommended sequence of courses students can take at Emory and abroad.

Any class that students successfully complete abroad on a BBA exchange program will result in Emory course credit. Exactly what credit the student receives is based solely on the course content, which is reviewed and an Emory equivalency determined by the Emory professor.

Are there any pre-requisites for studying abroad?

  • Students must be currently enrolled in the Goizueta Business School at the time of application.
  • Students must have successfully completed a minimum of three regular fall or spring semesters.
  • Students must have successfully completed a minimum of three of the following core courses: BUS 211, BUS 320, BUS 330, BUS 331, BUS 340, BUS 351, or BUS 410. Such courses do not have to be completed at the time of the application deadline, only before the student goes abroad.
  • Students must be in good academic standing, with a cumulative and most-recent-semester GPA of at least 3.0.
  • At select schools, students must meet minimum language requirements: class level 212 or higher, or native fluency.

What courses are offered abroad?

Courses offered abroad vary widely from program to program, and also from semester to semester, depending on what partner institution the student chooses. Just like at Emory, our partner schools may change their course offerings every semester, sometimes at the last minute.

When do I register for classes abroad?

Registration abroad occurs in two stages; first you will be enrolled in generic study abroad classes during the normal registration time at Goizueta. You will usually register for the specific classes when you arrive at your host school, just before the semester begins. Flexibility and preparation become crucial in these circumstances – know the type of courses you want to take, so you will know which courses at the partner school may be the right match.

When will I know what credits I will receive from studying abroad?

Once the course review process is complete, and after you file your courses abroad form. This could happen soon after you arrive at your school, if you can send the necessary information back to Goizueta right away.

Will the grades from studying abroad count in my Goizueta GPA?

No. Grades from a BBA Exchange program will not count in your Goizueta GPA, since the courses are posted on your transcript as satisfactory or unsatisfactory (pass/fail in student parlance). In order to receive credit for a business major requirement (core class or business elective), you must earn a B- or better (or local equivalent). BBA International Programs maintains a chart detailing what a B- is at each of our partner schools, as determined by the faculty and in consideration with the host school's grade scale. If you earn less than a B- but do pass a class by the host school's standards, you may receive general, flexible credit toward graduation, but will not receive credit for a business major requirement. If you fail a class completely, it will be posted on your transcript as unsatisfactory (fail).

How are the grades determined?

Grades and grading systems from our partner schools are all different from Emory. We have worked with each host school to compare our grading scales. The B- equivalent is determined by faculty members here. Neither Goizueta nor Emory can alter or change grades received at foreign universities. Any appeal of grades earned abroad must be conducted according to host school procedures and timelines, by the individual student.

Due to differences in calendars, marking and grade reporting procedures, the time it takes to receive a final grade report varies from partner to partner. For Cass Business School at City University, for example, we typically receive transcripts for our fall exchange students in April. Until a transcript of some sort is available, it is not possible to complete a student's record, and courses will continue to show on the transcript as generic BUS 494 hours with a grade of Incomplete.

Am I able to take classes Pass/Fail?

No. They will post to your Goizueta transcript as satisfactory/unsatisfactory (pass/fail, in student parlance), but you must take them for a grade.

Are classes abroad more difficult than at Emory?

Students earn grades abroad that are usually very close to their normal performance at the Goizueta School of Business. Our partners are chosen because they are among the best business schools in their respective countries, so you can expect a similar quality of education and level of difficulty as that at Goizueta. Assessments (tests, papers, projects, et cetera) are usually extremely different abroad, as are expectations for class attendance and participation.

Is there enough time outside the classroom to get to visit other places, such as cultural sites?

Certainly! Students can set up their schedule in a way that will allow them free time to visit new places and explore the city and country in which they live. A full load of classes will leave enough time outside the classroom to explore these opportunities.

Back to top


How much will study abroad cost?

With the BBA Exchange Programs, students are registered through Emory; therefore, they will pay the same tuition as would be paid for a regular semester in Atlanta. So your basic academic costs should be quite similar to a semester in Atlanta.

Depending on the program, the city, and the exchange rate, the cost of housing may be comparable to Atlanta, but in some cases it is much less expensive, which can help offset other expenses. Living costs are usually between $500 and $1,500 per month, depending on the country. This includes housing, utilities, transportation, and meals.

Most additional costs will come in travel expenses – getting to and from the location, and any travel you do during the semester, so this also varies considerably.

For more information about a particular destination, consult the student experience reports. These include information on each student's budget, and what they actually spent on housing, food, travel, etc.

In general, you should expect to spend more during a semester abroad than you would in Atlanta, but much of this will be under your control. Visit the Funding Resources page for information on scholarships, financial aid, and budgeting resources.

Can I use my regular financial aid when I study abroad?

Yes.  Again, with BBA exchange programs you will be registered through Emory, so any financial aid or scholarships you normally receive will also apply to your semester abroad. Visit the Funding Resources page for information on available scholarships, financial aid, and budgeting resources.

Are there any scholarships for studying abroad?

Yes. While Goizueta does not currently offer any special study abroad scholarships, there are numerous scholarships available for any study abroad students. The Funding Resources page of this Web site references information on available scholarships, financial aid, and budgeting resources. Other scholarships may also be available, depending on your destination.

What is the exchange rate?

To see a daily exchange rate of the U.S. Dollar to other currencies, visit http://www.oanda.com. It is also advisable to check with your local bank to see if they can exchange some currency for you before departure. However, in countries that value the dollar very highly, it might be to the student's benefit to exchange currency upon arrival in the host country.

Where can students exchange money?

Many airports provide currency exchange counters. Be sure that you know approximately how much you should expect for each dollar you exchange. Many banks are happy to exchange money, however some charge significant fees to do this. Possibly the most comfortable (and assuredly reputable) places to exchange money would be your home bank, or a large local bank with currency exchange services.

What are Travelers Checks and where can they be obtained/used?

Travelers checks take the place of cash, and are much safer than carrying cash, because these checks are often able to be canceled if lost or stolen. Grandparents love travelers checks! However, travelers checks receive mixed opinions overseas, with some places accepting them and others not allowing them to be used. For this reason, BBA International Programs does not recommend travelers checks to BBAs going abroad.

A relatively safe way to "carry" money is by using a debit card with the logo of a national credit card on it. For instance, Bank of America can provide debit cards with the Visa logo, and these cards can be used anywhere a Visa is accepted. Purchases on the card will automatically be debited from your student's account. As with Visa credit cards, these debit cards can be instantly canceled if they are lost or stolen.

What is the best way to send money from the U.S. to the host country?

Electronic Fund Transfers (EFTs) or online banking transfers are the most secure way to delivery money to students abroad. Money wires are also commonly used (i.e. Western Union). Both of these require a fee for service. Please check with your bank for fees and timelines for these options.

How much spending money is needed?

Determining the proper amount of spending money will depend almost entirely on the student's spending habits. Students should create a budget based on the amount of travel they want to do while abroad as well as the cost of living of their host country.

Students should take sufficient cash (either in local currency or in other currency to be exchanged) into the country to be self-sufficient until such time as a local bank account can be open or money wired. Be sure to check the host country's limits on amounts of cash brought in to the country.

Back to top


How do I apply?

Applications for BBA Exchange programs are due by September 10 for students who want to study abroad in the spring, and February 15 for students who want to study abroad in the fall.

For details on these application materials, read log into the BBA Portal.

How hard it is to be accepted to go abroad? What are the selection criteria?

Forecasting from current demand, Goizueta has more than enough places to send every applicant abroad. We extend an offer to study abroad to every student who meets the pre-requisite requirements. Demand for several specific partner schools can be very high. The number of students selected to participate in programs through Goizueta is regulated by exchange agreements different for each school. If you wish to study abroad in a specific semester, please be willing to attend your second or third choice program.

The selection committee looks for well-rounded students who will be good ambassadors of Goizueta and the U.S. All of the application materials are taken into consideration. Specifically, the committee considers your overall academic, extracurricular, and professional record; suitability of the program to complement your academic plan; quality of your persuasive proposal; and your track record of following procedures/policies/university rules.

What will I need to do if I am accepted to study abroad?

Once you have been accepted into a BBA Exchange program, you will need to submit several forms and other paperwork for Goizueta and for your host school. You will need to attend a Study Abroad Send-Off meeting to begin this process after you have been accepted. You will also be responsible for obtaining a student visa for your host country, as applicable. Learn more by visiting the Accepted Students section of the Web site.

Back to top

Terms of Semesters/Holidays

Do terms and semester vary between schools?

Yes, widely. It depends on each school. Most of them have a spring or fall semester but of course, in the southern hemisphere, these are quite different. To see a list of estimated program dates, click on the university name on the Programs and Locations page.

What do students do when the school goes on holiday?

Students can travel during holidays or explore their host city. The dorms and apartments will still be open during this time.

Are parents and families allowed to visit the students? Can families stay with students in their on-campus housing?

Finding a local hotel is the best option as many schools have strict policies on having guests in on-campus housing. Students will have to check with their school once enrolled to determined the overnight policies for guests.

BBA International Programs recommends enthusiastically that families visit their students abroad, cost and time permitting! In our experience, the best time to visit is in the second half of the student's time abroad, when your student can be your personal tour guide. Some parents consider dropping their children off. While you need to do what is best for your family, we have found in the past that when parents drop their children off, students feel torn between meeting new friends and attending mandatory orientation sessions at the host school, vs. spending time with their families. Studies show that the more connections a student makes to his or her university, the more likely he or she is to persist and prosper.

Back to top

Safety and Emergency

How safe is the campus?

Campuses are typically very safe. Most campuses have police/security guards there to provided assistance as needed. It is recommended that students travel in groups, especially after dark. General common sense will help students while traveling abroad.

How safe is the city?

Depending on the city, many places are considered to be safer than the U.S. and the most common crime is petty theft. Students report they felt very safe when abroad.

What happens in the case of an emergency? Will students have an in-country contact?

The BBA International Programs office keeps a record of the student's contact information abroad. In case of an emergency here in the U.S., the office can quickly contact the student. Additionally, the office also contacts students regularly during the first few weeks of their semester to ensure their adjustment is going smoothly. Students will have an in-country contact, usually the host school's international program coordinator, who can help facilitate questions.

Study abroad students are also issued an International SOS card that offers them 24/7 assistance while abroad. Students can also register their trip abroad with International SOS, for expedited help in case of emergency. Students can also upload copies of your passport and other documents, sign up for medical and security reports, find English speaking doctors abroad, get help finding if medications are legal in certain countries, look up detailed information about countries, and call them collect 24/7. This is an invaluable resource! Learn more at http://www.internationalsos.com.

Back to top

Medical Insurance

Do students need to get an international medical insurance if they have an existing policy in the U.S.?

Yes. Obtaining international health insurance coverage is required prior to departure, per Emory policy. This insurance plan only provides coverage while abroad. All Emory students, including international students, are also required to maintain U.S. health insurance coverage in case treatment is necessary upon return to the States. For more information on the health and liability insurance requirements, visit the Insurance page on the Web site.

Back to top


What special immunizations are needed to study abroad?

Immunization requirements and recommendations vary by country. Student Health Services provides students travel health services to help prepare them for their trip abroad. Charges apply to travel health consultations, immunizations, and physical exams.

Do students need to take a copy of their medical records?

It is a good idea for students to take both paper and scanned electronic copies, not originals, of their medical records.

Back to top

Housing and Meals

Where do students live?

Most students live in either on-campus housing (if provided by the host university) or in off-campus apartments with other international exchange students or sometimes with local students.

Is it possible to have a roommate in a dorm or an apartment?

This will vary. To have your own room is more expensive. Depending on the school, students may live with local students or with other international students. It depends on the school's dorm availability and costs. To learn if university housing accommodations or assistance is provided at the partner school, click on the university's name on the Programs and Locations page.

Who is responsible for making housing arrangements?

Students are responsible for coordinating their housing arrangements in the host country. For schools that do not offer on-campus housing , it is recommended that students arrive to the city at least a week before orientation in order to begin their housing search. To learn if university housing accommodations or assistance is provided at the partner school, click on the university's name on the Programs and Locations page.

If students live in on-campus housing, are meals included as part of the tuition?

Meals are not part of tuition but may be covered in the cost of housing at some schools. The cost of a daily lunch is similar to that of the U.S. European countries that use the Euro or Pound may have higher costs for means due to the U.S. dollar conversion. Countries where the dollar is stronger against the local currency will have lower costs of living.

How much does it cost to live in an apartment? Are students allowed to still eat on campus?

Eating on campus is not restricted, in most cases, to students living on-campus. Some universities have limited campus facilities, as their structure differs from the U.S.

Living costs vary by city, location, and amenities, and students should consider the likely costs of utilities, furnishings, transportation.

What will the food be like?

Part of the student's research before traveling abroad should include learning about the food of the host country. If students have special dietary restrictions, it is important for them to see what alternative foods will be available in the country. Flexibility is key, and students often adjust to new styles of food within a month or so after arriving in their host country. Part of the experience in studying abroad is becoming exposed to new ways of life - including food and eating customs - therefore students should have an open mind to experiment with different culinary options that may be different from the U.S.

Back to top


What documents (passports, visas) are needed to travel abroad?

A passport is necessary to enter the host country. Information is available at http://www.passport.gov. Students will most likely need a student visa to study abroad. Check http://www.travel.state.gov for more information concerning specific country requirements. Students can also locate the host country's embassy or nearby consulate located in the U.S. to verify requirements. The Helpful Travel Resources page also provides links to embassy and consulate Web sites.

Is there a timeline to apply for a passport or visa?

Passports and visas should be arranged as soon as possible, because documents can take up to 3 months to process.

Do all countries require student visas?

While all countries require a passport, not all countries require a visa. Check the website for your host country's embassy or consulate in the U.S.

What are the common means of transportation while abroad?

Most of our partner schools are in cities that have tried and true public transportation systems (subway/metro, bus). The fees range from $60 to $400 per semester to utilize public transportation. Whether the city offers a city-pass or pay-per-ride method is readily available information on most of our school's Web sites and can be picked up when the student arrives. Some cities are pedestrian and bike friendly, so students may choose to purchase or rent a bike when they arrive.

Travel within the country and to neighboring countries can be done by air, train or bus. Air travel within Europe is very inexpensive. Train travel is quite common but usually more expensive and time-consuming. Travel within Asia and Latin American is mainly done by air. Bus travel is also available within many countries.

Who is responsible for making transportation arrangements?

Students are responsible for arranging travel to and from their host country. Many internet sites offer discount airfare rates, and there are several to choose from. Some sites that consistently provide low fares include: www.kayak.com, www.statravel.com, and www.bookingbuddy.com.

How do students travel from the airport to their in-country housing location?

Students may use public transportation or a taxi to get from the airport to their place of residence or hotel. It is helpful to have the country's currency already in possession to ease the payment process. Host schools may also include airport transportation information in the packet of materials that is sent to accepted study abroad students.

Where can students receive advice about travel?

Local students and other acquaintances can be great resources for travel tips and suggestions. Traveling with local students can provide a unique, non-touristy experience. This approach is also quite safe, as a local is fluent in the local language and is familiar with the culture and norms.

What are some helpful travel resources and links?

A wide variety of travel-related resource links can be found on the Helpful Travel Resources page of the Web site.

Back to top

Personal Items

Are things like bedding and computers provided? What other personal items should be taken?

Depending on the living situation, bedding and linens may need to be provided by the student along with most furnishings unless they are living in a dorm or furnished apartment. Computers can be accessed at internet cafes, university computer labs, and libraries, although many students choose to take their personal computers with them.

Is there a recommended packing list?

A recommended packing list can be found on the U.S. Department of State's Students Abroad Web site.

Back to top


Will students have access to email while abroad?

All partner schools provide internet access for students. Most cities also have cyber/internet cafes that are readily available for students to use.

How does postal mail work overseas?

It also works as it does in the U.S. Students will be able to receive packages in their host country. However, because packages are shipped via air, they tend to be more costly than domestic mail.

Can students use a calling or credit card to call home? How can families call students abroad? Do students usually purchase cell phones while abroad?

Calling cards are available in virtually every city, and they can also be purchased online. Calling cards are available in the U.S. to call other countries, as well. Students may wish to purchase a local cell phone plan, which can also be used to call the U.S. (but may be very expensive). More and more, students choose to communicate via Skype, a free service that allows video conferences and calls from computer to computer; Google Voice; or other online services.

Back to top


Do students receive an orientation once they arrive to the host country?

Yes. Different host institutions provide varying levels of orientation, including such topics as course registration, housing, transportation, local acclimation, etc. Students should thoroughly review the host university's Web site to find out about the specific orientation practices.

Will students receive an interpreter if the language is unfamiliar?

Some schools offer or require students to participate in an intensive language course before the semester begins. Schools do not provide interpreters. For schools that instruct in the local language, students will be required to demonstrate sufficient proficiency in the language.

Back to top

-- -->